Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Note to self....make sure you can see where you are going before you start walking

Wow!  Who knew that toys meant for a 12-month old could be so dangerous.  This morning, I tripped over one of those learning to walk and can be ridden type things.  I fell....HARD.  On my left knee (it's got a pretty bruise) and on my left wrist.  The wrist, elbow, and shoulder all screamed at me for a good ten minutes...the wrist eventually popped and it feels just fine for now.  The shoulder calmed down.  The elbow...well....I'm glad the x-rays showed it wasn't dislocated.  Who knew you could actually dislocate an elbow?  But, it might be broken.  Those same x-rays were inconclusive due to all the swelling.  So, I'm told that if it doesn't get markedly better in the next few days, that I will probably need more x-rays and it's likely broken.  If so, that means it's got a chip floating around in there and I'll probably end up needing surgery.  Yuck!!!  If I'm lucky, then I just jammed it really, really hard.  No obvious bruising or swelling on the outside, so who knows?

I never knew that my left elbow was used so much.  I can hardly pick up Tom.  Zach, on the other hand, is actually not to difficult.  I guess that's because he can help get himself picked up.  Well, here's hoping I didn't do any major damage.  Oh, and as a side-note, Dan's got bursitis.  We are both gimpy.  *sigh*

3 comments:

Marlyn said...

OMG Rachel! Are you okay?? YIKES! Be careful girl!

Rachel said...

Yeah, think I'm alright now. It wasn't dislocated according to the x-rays and I figure if I had actually broken it, I wouldn't be getting my range of motion back, and I am. Not all the way just yet, but I can turn my arm and even pick up Tom without wincing.

Marlyn said...

Wow, I'm glad. I was in pain just reading!