Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Making baby food

Who knew it was really so easy to make your own baby food. Yes, you have to be a little careful and make sure it's pureed smooth and whatnot....that's the hard part. I got an acorn squash at the store a few days ago (before the elbow incident) and today I baked it while Tom was down for his morning nap. It came out of the oven just a little bit ago and I scooped out the flesh into the container I used for pureeing it. I bought a stick blender (aka - an immersion blender) so that I'd be able to do this even easier and with less clean up than a regular blender. Wow! We are really going to save a bunch of money....time, well, that's another story. But, all in all, it's not any harder....I can spend time with the kids while things like the squash bake and it takes less time to puree and serve than it does to open a jar. How crazy is that?

As a side note, it appears that I didn't break my elbow...just jammed it very hard. Dan's bursitis is not just bursitis, but also an impinged nerve. I'll keep you all updated as we know more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the day, Mom used to make your baby food. Back then, she was trying to avoid the extra sugar and salt that was used in commercial baby food.

Rachel said...

Yeah, they don't have nearly that problem these days...but 2 servings of squash bought in jar form is around $.75...the acorn squash had WAY more servings than 2 and was only a couple of dollars.

Marlyn said...

Yeah!!! I love it. I made all my girls' food.

So glad you elbow is okay!

Hugs to the Texas boys!

Marlyn said...

Wanted to add that Alex's favorite was the banana squash -- you buy "pieces" of them (I guess the whole ones are HUGE) wrapped in plastic wrap in the grocery section. They are bright yellow and really easy to bake/scoop. See if you have them. I remember they were really inexpensive and delicious.